Chronology of Parliament House

John Lee Archer, a Government Architect, designed the building in June 1830 to be Customs House, in fact before reclamation of the grounds began in 1832 the site was close to the water.

Between 1832 and 1839 stone was quarried from the Queen's Domain and from along Salamanca Place, where a small railway was used to carry the blocks. Formal work, mostly by convicts, began 3 January 1835 and the basement level was finished by March 1836. By 1838 the second storey was "ready for its roof" and the Customs Department staff opened for business on 1 September 1840.

On Saturday 19 June 1841 the Legislative Council met in the "Long Room" (now the Members' Lounge) having stopped using Franklin Square premises. Commencing in April 1856 the building was altered to accommodate the new bicameral Parliament. Thereafter, on 2 December 1856 the new Assembly met in the 'Long Room' whilst the Legislative Council moved into its present Chamber.

In 1845 the original markets upon the reclaimed land were removed and replaced by timber yards.

1827 John lee Archer, Architect arrived in Tasmania.
1830 - 1835 Archer submits design and store quarrying commenced along Salamanca.
1836 - 1837 Ground and underground work undertaken.
1837 - 1838 Stonework preparation completed.
1840 - 1841 Customs House officers occupy the building.
1841 Legislative Council of Van Diemen's Land occupies the Long Room, opened 30th December.
1856 Alterations made for bicameral parliament, opened 2nd December.
1904 - 1905 Customs House officers move out completely.
1913 Joint meeting of both houses decide not to build a new Parliament House.
1939 Parliament House renovated and new Assembly Chamber opened, 15th May 1940.
1976 Renovations commence to provide more office space for Members, Hansard and Library.
1980 Official opening of renovated building, 16th April.
1989 Conservation works commence (stage 1) to restore building.
1999 Conservation works commence (stage 2) to restore building.