Following the completion of the floating arch bridge in 1943 the growth
of population on the Eastern bank of the River Derwent was rapid; by 1955
the bridge was unable to carry the number of vehicles required to use it
without extreme congestion. In addition after careful examination of the
floating part of the arch bridge following a serious storm from the south,
it was decided the life of this bridge in its present position was limited.
Two of the three remaining sections from the second half-arch were disposed
of by sinking them off Betsey Island on 16 and 17 November 1971. The final
section was positioned and sunk at Alonnah for use as a breakwater on 27
Maintained by Computer and Electronic Services, Parliament of Tasmania. .
Last Update: 05 September 2001