Home>Library>Information>Tasmanian State Emblems

Tasmanian State Emblems

Flag and Badge

Tasmanian Badge

Like all other Australian States, the Tasmanian flag has the Union Jack in the top left-hand corner and the State badge to the right, on a dark blue background. It is twice as wide as it is deep. The badge depicts a red lion within a white circle. Although the reason for the design is not clear, it suggests historical ties with England and was approved by the British Colonial Office on 29 November 1875. It has remained largely unchanged since except for a slight modification to the lion when the flag was officially proclaimed as the State flag by Governor Sir Stanley Burbury on 3 December 1975. A motion was passed in the House of Assembly in November 1997 recommending legislation to prevent any alteration to the flag without approval at a referendum. Such legislation has yet to be introduced.

View copy of proclamation [pdf]

Coat of Arms

The Tasmanian coat of arms was approved by Royal Warrant from King George V on 29 May 1917 and proclaimed in 1919. It features a shield supported by two thylacines (Tasmanian tigers, thought to be extinct). The shield bears images of the State's major rural industries - wheat, apples, hops, sheep - beneath a red lion holding a pick and shovel, symbolic of mining activities. The Latin motto at the bottom is Ubertas et fidelitas: fertility and faithfulness'.

View copy of proclamation [pdf]

Flora Emblem - Tasmanian Flowering Blue Gum

The Tasmanian Flowering Blue Gum (Eucalyptus globulus) was identified and named by a French naturalist, Labillardiere, in 1799. It may grow to over 60 metres in height and is most common in southern and eastern Tasmania although some examples are found on the Bass Strait islands and in southern Victoria. Its timber is highly valued for its strength and durability.

The Tasmanian Blue Gum is protected in areas under State control, such as national parks and crown land, and may not be removed without permission. It was proclaimed as the State floral emblem on 5 December 1962.

View copy of proclamation. [pdf]

More information on the blue gum.

Fauna Emblem - Tasmanian Devil

The Tasmanian devil, Sarcophilus harrisii (Boitard, 1841) is the world's largest remaining carnivorous marsupial (since the presumed extinction of the thylacine or Tasmanian tiger). It is found in the wild only in Tasmania where it is widespread. Although once common, it is now a threatened species.

The Tasmanian Aboriginal word for the devil is purinina. Its scientific name, Sarcophilus means 'flesh-loving' and harrisii comes from George Harris, the surveyor and naturalist who described the species in 1808. It was given the name 'devil' by early European settlers who were frightened by its unfamiliar night-time calls.

View copy of proclamation. (pdf)

Mineral - Crocoite

Crocoite is an unusual orange-red lead mineral which can be beautiful and colourful. The main source of quality specimens is the Dundas district on the west coast of Tasmania. The crystals there are usually long thin prisms, however large crystals from this locality have been scarce in the past thirty years. It was proclaimed as the State mineral in 2000.

View copy of proclamation [pdf]

For more information on crocoite.

Corporate ID - The Tasmanian Government Logo


Images of State Emblems used with permission.

Crown Copyright applies to these images. For permission to use these images please contact protocol@dpac.tas.gov.au

Back to HomePage

Maintained by Computer Services, Parliament of Tasmania.

Last Update: 20 June 2015